The Africa Public Service Day (APSD) is commemorated annually on the 23rd June in recognition of the United Nations Public Service Day. Continental celebrations took place in the capital of the Republic of Rwanda, Kigali between 21st and 23rd June 2017.
Since Uganda was hosting the International Refugee Day Convention on 23rd June in Kampala, the APSD Uganda Chapter celebrations were postponed to Friday, 30th June 2017 at Kololo Airstrip.
The APSD is celebrated in recognition of the fact that democracy and successful governance are built on the foundation of a competent Civil Service. The commemoration of this day is aimed at:
- Reflecting on the functioning of the Public Service, its mission, objectives, programmes and projects, problems and challenges, successes and failures;
- Reorganizing and making known the importance of Public Service, its contributions and benefits to Public Officers, Civil Society, Private Sector and Government generally;
- Rewarding, motivating and encouraging deserving Officers for programmes and projects which have been launched and for new initiatives and innovations introduced;
- Preparing the Public Service for a better future through proposing changes for the social well-being of society especially the Youth, and ;
- Providing a forum for Public Officers and the general public to reflect on the performance of the Public Service in Uganda and Africa in general among others.
This year, 2017, the celebrations are guided by the theme “Entrenching a Citizen-Centred Service Delivery Culture: Partnering with the Youth for Africa’s Transformation” which is aimed at recognizing the cardinal role of the youth in entrenching Citizen-centred Service Delivery culture.
All Ministries, Departments, Agencies, Local Governments and other Institutions are invited and encouraged to participate in the National Celebrations due at Kololo Airstrip on Friday 30th June 2017. That notwithstanding, all MDA/LGs are encouraged to commemorate the APSD at their respective Institutional levels and they are encouraged to:
- Mobilise the youth within their communities to participate in the commemoration activities;
- Carry out Social Responsibility programs in the catchment communities including voluntary contribution of funds and items in kind to vulnerable groups, marking of zebra crossings;
- Carry out HIV/Aids Voluntary Counseling and Testing, blood donation drives among others.
The activities at the National celebrations will include:
- An exhibition at the celebrations venue where different entities will showcase their services,
- APSD Walk that will start at the MoPS Headquarter in Wandegeya to Kololo Air strip and
- Release of the Pearl of Africa Institutional Performance Assessment Scorecard (PAIPAS) results for FY 2015/2016 and recognition of best performing Institutions.
The above activities will be preceded by sports activities that will include football and netball matches between the Public Service Team and the Youth Team at Makerere University Play grounds at 4.00pm on 27th June 2017.