Department of Public Service Inspection
The Public Service Inspection Department is headed by a Commissioner, Mr. Charles Twinomugisha.
Mandate of the Department
The Inspectorate Department is mandated to develop performance standards for the Public Service; to carry out inspection and monitor the performance of both the Central Ministries and Local Governments in order to ensure total compliance with the set standards, rules, regulations and procedures; and to offer technical guidance, where necessary, to facilitate improved service delivery at the least cost to the citizens of Uganda with the aim of realizing the PEAP goals.
- To ensure compliance with set standards, rules and regulations, so as to enhance the efficiency and effectiveness of the Public Service as well as enforce discipline among Public Servants.
- To improve customer responsiveness, accountability, transparency, efficiency and effectiveness in service delivery by Public Servants.Functions
Monitoring and evaluating the implementation of Government policies and programmes that fall within the mandate and portfolio of the Ministry of Public Service, and producing periodic reports.
- Planning and carrying out inspections to ensure proper implementation of Public Service rules and regulations, and providing appropriate implementation guidelines.
- Identifying performance bottlenecks against set targets/objectives and advising on possible solutions.
- Reviewing and evaluating performance of Public Officers and identifying cases of excellent and/or poor performance with a view to recommending rewards and/or remedial actions.
- Investigating and making appropriate recommendations on staff and public complaints.
- Inspecting the Ministries and Districts with a view to identifying the Human Resource Management problems of rectification
- Conducting Results Oriented Management (ROM) Workshops for Judges and Members of Parliament.
- Developing and/or reviewing Service Standards using information from the National Service Delivery Survey.
- Continuing with the implementation of Results Oriented Management in all Ministries and Districts up to Departmental level.
- Designing Inspection Guidelines in line with the principles of ROM and developing and Inspection Manual.